Table of contents
- Why come to GECCO as a student?
- Student Travel Grants
- ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences
- Student Workshop
- SIGEVO Summer School
Why come to GECCO as a student?
GECCO offers a unique opportunity to increase your career profile by learning, competing, and publishing. Tutorials provided at no cost to conference attendees and competitions are unique to GECCO.
If you need help in finding your place at GECCO or on student related activities and opportunities, do not hesitate to contact the Student Affairs Chairs (see contact information at the bottom of the page), to support you on the way. Please specify [Student GECCO 2018] in the subject line.
Student Travel Grants
All full-time students are welcome to apply. Applications will open after the paper acceptance decision.
Applications accepted from March 25 (apply now!)
Applications due by April 26
Notifications by April 30
Priority will be assigned based on participation at the conference (for example, students with full papers will have precedence over students with posters, which will have precedence over students with workshop papers). Therefore we advise to proceed with the registration only after receiving the notification of acceptance for your submissions. Note that only a part of the expenses will be covered (the amount depends on several factors and will be known only at notification time).
The Gion Festival will be held at the same time as the conference, it is therefore strongly advised that you book your hotel as soon as possible.
How to Apply
To apply for a student travel award:
- Submit an online application by the deadline;
- Input estimated travel and lodging expenses in your application;
- Submit proof of full-time student status (a clear, readable photocopy of a valid student ID).
You will not be allowed to save your application without uploading your proof of student status. Proof of full time student status can be a scan of your student ID, or a letter or other document from your professor or university that states you are a full time student. A copy of your class schedule is not a valid form of proof.
Acceptable reimbursable expenses are the travelling expenses, which include:
- Transportation: air travel, other transportation to and/or from the conference, such as taxi, train, bus, car rental;
- Lodging: hotel/hostel/guest house or student dorm;
Conference expenses which are not reimbursed by student travel awards include the conference registration fee.
Claiming an Award
As a condition of acceptance, travel award recipients will be required to submit (after the conference) a report of the expenses, with the original receipts included, to ACM. Detailed information will be sent by ACM to travel recipients after the notification. Please note it can take 3-6 weeks for you to receive your check from ACM headquarters.
About Original Receipts
- Air travel receipts: The easiest way to supply original receipts is to provide the receipt for your airline travel. If you purchased your airline ticket over the Internet, you must submit the printout of your email receipt and your original boarding pass from the city where your travel begins.
- Types of receipts: Acceptable receipts, other than for airline travel, include food, lodging, and other transportation (taxi, bus). No copies are accepted.
- Dates on receipts: Receipts, other than for your airline tickets, must have a date that coincides with travelling to or from the conference, or on conference days. For example, since GECCO 2018 will be held from July 15 through July 19, 2018, receipts other than for airline travel must be dated between July 14 and July 20, 2018. For students also attending the summer school, receipts other than for airline travel should be dated between July 12 and July 20.
- Invalid receipts: Your conference registration fee is not reimbursable.
Please take the time to understand the following: The ACM will not, under any circumstances, release a cheque without proper original receipts. There are absolutely no exceptions to this ACM rule.
ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences
ACM-W provides support for women undergraduate and graduate students in Computer Science and related programs to attend research conferences. This exposure to the CS research world can encourage a student to continue on to the next level (Undergraduate to Graduate, Masters to Ph.D., Ph.D. to an industry or academic position). The student does not have to present a paper at the conference she attends.
The ACM-W scholarships are divided between scholarships of up to $600 for intra-continental conference travel, and scholarships of up to $1200 for intercontinental conference travel.
Applications due by April 15 2018
Notifications by April 30 2018
Application and selection
In order for an application to be considered for an award, each applicant must set up a free ACM web account in order to complete the application. During the application process, GECCO should be selected as conference choice. For further details on the scholarships, please refer to the ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences page. Applications are submitted online at http://acm-w.acm.org/scholarA.cfm.
Students have the possibility to present their work on a dedicated Student Workshop. Visit the Student Workshop page for more information.
SIGEVO Summer School
The second SIGEVO Summer School is organized back-to-back with GECCO 2018 and will take place in Osaka on July 13 and 14, with additional activities during GECCO, July 15-19, in Kyoto. See additional details on the official website.
Student Affairs Chairs: